Free Art Lessons for Refugee Children
Since January 2022 Pen of Mercy started offering free art lessons to the children of the Afghan refugee families that have been relocated to Tampa, Florida.
We believe these free art lessons will give these children an outlet to express their feelings and emotions. During the art lessons they feel safe knowing that the art teacher speaks their language and the other volunteers are known to their parents. Their parents trust us because we meet them ahead of time to answer any questions they may have.
We believe that these art lessons will help make it easy for the children to transition into their new country.
Benefits of Art for Children
Everyone knows that nothing makes children happier than creating their own art. But the benefits of creating art goes far beyond just fun and happiness.
Studies have shown that children do well in almost all areas of their development when they create art.
- Builds motor skills and improves school grades
- Motivates to be creative and more imaginative
- Encourages to think outside the box
- Boosts confidence and builds self esteem
- Teaches social skills if taught in group settings
- Provides an outlet to express feelings an emotions